Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Twomblecaster - BYO Guitar

Time for a new project: I'm going to make a guitar. During Mini-Course, our Physics teacher offered a two-week course in which the students built an electric guitar from a kit. I was so taken by it, I stopped by and took a lot of pictures. Jon noted my enthusiasm and suggested I help teach next year.

 

 

But before I could properly agree to doing that, I thought I better try it out. So I ordered a kit from BYO Guitar. Now, I was originally told that kits were less than $200 -- and many are. But, I've always wanted a Telecaster Thinline, and the kit for that comes from BYO's Custom Shop -- so the kit was over $400 (you can buy a new Tele Thinline for about $450). But I want what I want, and I think it should be worth it.



Parts fit fairly well; the pockets for the pickups are a bit shallow, so I'll have to make room with a dremel or something..

So My thought is to use the laser-cutter in the Design Lab to add some artwork to the guitar body. In this case, I want to add a painting by Cy Twombly (Untitled II / Bacchus, 2005), along with a museum label on the back, and some text on the headstock. I mocked up the artwork and am really looking forward to trying out the laser-cutter.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment